About the Bismarck Public Schools Foundation
The Bismarck Public Schools Foundation (BPSF) was established in 1989 by the Bismarck School Board. The Bismarck School Board created a board of directors for the foundation to generate funds and other gifts for the school district. In 2003 the BPSF obtained its 501 (c)(3) status as a tax exempt organization. Donors may deduct contributions to the BPSF as provided in section 170 of the tax code. Bequests, legacies, devises, transfers and gifts to the BPSF for its use are deductible for federal, estate and gift tax purposes if they meet the provisions of the tax code.
The Mission of the BPS Foundation is to:
Enhance the mission of the Bismarck Public Schools by providing services and recognition to staff and students that are not normally available through the funding of the Bismarck Public Schools budget.
Good Notes to Know:
- Quorum: 1/3 of the elected board of directors.
- Board can consist of 15-21 members.
- Each board member can serve two 3 year staggered terms with the exception of high school students serving one 2-year term.
- Executive Committee: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Member At Large, Immediate Past President, BPS Superintendent. Immediate Past President and Superintendent serve as ex-officio.
- Selection Committee (new board members): President, BPS President or Designee, BPS Superintendent
Duties of the Board are:
- To serve as directors for the Bismarck Public School Foundation re: the generation and use of BPS Foundation funds and gifts.
- To seek funds and other gifts to strengthen educational programs and services for Bismarck Public Schools.
- To develop by-laws, policies, and procedures which will encourage and enhance contributions to the BPS Foundation.
Wes Engbrecht, Vice-President
Capital Electric Cooperative
Christopher Friez, Vice-President
North American Coal
Jack Glasser, Member at Large
Tiffany Vinje, Secretary
Vinje Law Firm
Kayla Effertz Kleven, Treasurer
Foundation Executive Director
Ex-Officio: Jon Lee, School Board Member
Bismarck School Board Voting Member
Ex-Officio: Jim Haussler, BPS Superintendent
Interim Superintendent of Bismarck Public Schools
Ex-Officio: Jason Millner, Past-President
Stifel Nicolaus Financial
Board of Directors
H.A. Thompson & Sons
Tour Director and Retired BPS Teacher
ND Board of Medicine
Bismarck Public Schools
Engelman Associates LLC
BHS, CHS, LHS, SCHS