About the Bismarck Public Schools Foundation
The Bismarck Public Schools Foundation (BPSF) was established in 1989 by the Bismarck School Board. The Bismarck School Board created a board of directors for the foundation to generate funds and other gifts for the school district. In 2003 the BPSF obtained its 501 (c)(3) status as a tax exempt organization. Donors may deduct contributions to the BPSF as provided in section 170 of the tax code. Bequests, legacies, devises, transfers and gifts to the BPSF for its use are deductible for federal, estate and gift tax purposes if they meet the provisions of the tax code.
The Mission of the BPS Foundation is to:
Enhance the mission of the Bismarck Public Schools by providing services and recognition to staff and students that are not normally available through the funding of the Bismarck Public Schools budget.
Development Director: Stacey Lang
Stacey Lang began her career with BPSF in January 2020. Lang came into this role with over 15 years of marketing and event management experience in variety of roles but primarily as the Bismarck Tribune’s marketing manager.
She has her bachelor’s degree from the University of Mary in business administration with minors in both business communication as well as management information systems. Stacey is married to Mitch Lang and has two children within the Bismarck Public School District. More information about Stacey Lang can be found at https://www.linkedin.com/in/staceylang.
Good Notes to Know:
- Quorum: 1/3 of the elected board of directors.
- Board can consist of 15-21 members.
- Each board member can serve two 3 year staggered terms with the exception of high school students serving one 2-year term.
- Executive Committee: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Member At Large, Immediate Past President, BPS Superintendent. Immediate Past President and Superintendent serve as ex-officio.
- Selection Committee (new board members): President, BPS President or Designee, BPS Superintendent
Duties of the Board are:
- To serve as directors for the Bismarck Public School Foundation re: the generation and use of BPS Foundation funds and gifts.
- To seek funds and other gifts to strengthen educational programs and services for Bismarck Public Schools.
- To develop by-laws, policies, and procedures which will encourage and enhance contributions to the BPS Foundation.
Harley Engelman, President
Engelman Associates LLC
Chad Oban, Vice-President
North Dakota United
Member at Large
To be elected
Mary Miller, Secretary
Stacey Lang, Treasurer
Foundation Development Director
Ex-Officio: Jon Lee, School Board Member
Bismarck School Board Voting Member
Ex-Officio: Jason Hornbacher, BPS Superintendent
Superintendent of Bismarck Public Schools
Board of Directors
Tour Director and Retired BPS Teacher
Venture Real Estate, Bismarck-Mandan Young Life
BHS, CHS, LHS, SCHS